Elementary & Middle Magnet School Application Process
Applications for elementary and middle school magnet programs in the Bibb County School District will be available online on Wednesday, November 16, 2016. All K-8 magnet applications will be processed online this year through the District’s website: www.bcsdk12.net Elementary and middle school applications for the 2017-2018 school year will be accepted online through Wednesday, December 7, 2016. If your child is currently enrolled in a K-5 magnet school, they must apply and be accepted through the magnet selection process in order to attend another magnet school. Transportation is not provided for those students who voluntarily choose to attend a school outside the zone assigned to their place of residence.
Elementary magnet schools in the District include Alexander II Math and Science Magnet School, Burdell-Hunt Communications Magnet School, and Vineville Academy of the Arts. Miller Fine Arts Magnet Middle School is the District’s only middle-grades magnet school.
Acceptance into any elementary or middle magnet school is contingent upon being randomly chosen during the lottery selection process and a successful interview and/or audition. An open house will be held at each of the schools before the application deadline.
Each elementary and middle magnet school will be open each day school is in session between November 16, 2016 through December 7, 2016 from 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. for any parent/guardian needing assistance or access to a computer to complete the online application.
Letters will be mailed to parents of all magnet school applicants regarding their status on January 20, 2017. Students not selected for any magnet school applied to will automatically be placed on the waiting list and contacted if slots become available. Required interviews/auditions will be scheduled by each elementary and middle magnet school between January 23, 2017 through February 17, 2017. The last day for parents to notify elementary and middle magnet schools of acceptance of magnet slot based on the results of the interviews/auditions is March 3, 2017.
High school magnet application information is forthcoming on the District’s website. Parents interested in applying for Pre-K programs at elementary magnet schools should do so when the Pre-K registration process opens in late January/early February.================================================================================================Alexander II Math and Science Magnet School • Bertha Caldwell, Principal
1156 College Street • Macon, GA 31201 • (478) 779-2700 • Grades K-5
- Alexander II Math & Science Magnet School has the distinction of being the first elementary magnet school in the state of Georgia.
- Besides having opportunities to exceed in math and science, students at Alexander II enjoy developing their skills in multimedia (broadcasting), music, physical fitness, and multiple co-curricular activities including Lego robotics, and competitions in math, music, and media.
- Alexander II was named a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence through the United States Department of Education twice in a decade (2006 and 2015).
- Historically, Alexander II has been a three-time Georgia School of Excellence recipient, and has received the Silver Award of Excellence in Education through the Department of Education in 2005, 2006, and 2008.
- Alexander II is in the process of becoming STEM certified.
Open House: November 17, 2016 from 6:00-7:00 p.m.
Burdell-Hunt Communications Magnet School • Tanya Allen, Principal
972 Fort Hill Street • Macon, GA 31211 • (478) 779-2950 • Grades K-5
- Became a “Leader in Me” School in 2015.
- Title I Reward School, High Progress Reward School for 2 consecutive years.
- Offers two world languages - Spanish and Mandarin Chinese.
- First recipient of the Bibb County Readers Cup and the second place recipient in Spring 2015.
- Student produced Morning Broadcast show.
Open House: December 1, 2016 from 4:00-6:30 p.m.
Vineville Academy of the Arts • Kristy Graham, Principal
2260 Vineville Avenue • Macon, GA 31204 • (478) 779-3250 • Grades K-5
- 2015 Georgia Public Broadcasting “Spotlight on Schools”.
- 2015 DEALS Distinguished Educators and Learners.
- 21st Century Technology including PK-5 STEM classrooms, SMARTBoards, BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) Program, Broadcast Studio, I Pad, and I Pod.
- Received awards from Macon Arts Alliance, Macon, GA and Woodruff Arts Center, Atlanta, GA.
- PANDAMONIUM Clubs and Offerings: National Junior Beta Club, Quiz Bowl, FLL Robotics Program, HealthMPowers, Art of Reading, Quick-Think-A-Thon, Science Fair, Young Georgia Authors, Math Team, Math 24, Vineville Voices, Primary Chorus, Tap, Ballet, Studio Art, Art Crew, News Crew, Safety Patrol, Fire Marshals, Green Team, Green Thumbs, Vineville Leaders, Vineville Cheer- Leaders and First Tee National School Program.
Open House: November 29, 2016 from 9:00-11:00 a.m. and 5:00-7:00 p.m.Miller Fine Arts Magnet Middle School • Jim Montgomery, Principal
751 Hendley Street • Macon, GA 31204 • (478) 779-4050 • Grades 6-8
Miller Fine Arts Magnet Middle School is the only middle school in Bibb County to have been awarded Georgia’s School of Excellence award.
Miller’s offerings include Band, Chorus, Dance, Orchestra, Theatre, Visual Arts, Academic Team, Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID), Athletic Teams, Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Junior Beta Club and Math Team.
Students in Visual Arts participate in student art shows and local competitions, and dance students recently participated in a masterclass offered by the Dance Theatre of Harlem.
Fine Arts students will participate in the presentation of an annual theatrical production.
Miller offers Algebra I for high school credit and will also offer Physical Science for high school credit for the 2017-2018 school year.
Open House: November 29, 2016 from 5:30-7:00 p.m.
=================================================================================================**Please note that browser settings must be enabled for pop-up windows to complete the application. Applications should be completed in Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Internet Explorer may not work properly when attempting to submit an application.