The Department of Fine Arts is committed to providing a holistic fine arts education that develops the unique abilities of
every student. The department works with teachers of band, chorus, dance, general music, orchestra, theatre, and visual
arts in presenting diverse fine arts opportunities through effective teaching that challenges each student. The Department
of Fine Arts is diligent in holding high expectations for student achievement and being fiscally responsible in providing the
fine arts program. Highlights from 2013-2014 include:
• Approximately 5,450 students attended or participated in 12 community events.
• Approximately 130 pieces of artwork were displayed at the annual Bibb County School District Student Art Show
in collaboration with The 567 Center for Renewal and the Georgia Art Education Association.
• Southwest High School and Central High School Choruses performed in concert with the Fisk Jubilee Singers at the
Heritage Festival held at the Douglass Theatre. As part of this event, master classes were provided for participating
• Three students were selected to participate in Fine Arts areas through the Georgia Governor’s Honors Program.
• Approximately 1,900 band, chorus, and orchestra students participated in Georgia Music Educators Association
Large Group Performance Evaluation (LGPE) events.
• The Department of Fine Arts created a database aimed at tracking repairs by instrument, school, program, and
type of repair. The department also created a budget spreadsheet for improved tracking of expenditures and data